- June Book “Fall to Grace” by Jay Bakker
- Tonight is last night of LGBT discussion
- Donations go to The Euc
- Newsletter changes and new options
- Next week is Artist Night at St. Johns UMC @ 7PM! (not our usual 8pm)
- Romans 1:26-27. The point of Romans 1 is to not worship idols. Does not refer to passion of lust, does refer to a frenzied state of mind induced by wine, drugs, etc.
- In the old testament we learn that God created humans not to be lonely. Yet, the church is telling LGBT community to be celibate, not to be together because it goes against the God that created them.
- Was there a homosexual connection to other cults and religions going on at the time? Yes, absolutely. There were pagan cults who were forcing homosexual relationships on the participants in the religion. That forced relationship is what Paul refers to as “going against nature.”
- 1 Timothy 1:9-10
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
- Paul specifically speaks against whores which (in the culture at the time) meant giving into idol and pagan worship.
- Jude 1:7 References Sodom and Gomorrah which is about rape and bestiality.
Question and Answer
- Marvel comics more progressive than the church. New X-men character to be introduced is gay. DC comics introduces new main character that is gay. Batwoman is lesbian.
- Opposition to LGBT clergy in the Methodist church does NOT come from the United States (which is very progressive in the UMC) but in Africa and other overseas countries (which accounts for 60% of vote)
- Homosexuality has negative connotation? Label for a group of people rather than identifying the person by name, clothing, or accessories.
- Is there an “Us vs. Them” mentality? Going from to one “extreme” to the other does nothing for either side, or anyone else. It is for personal satisfaction and personal gain. Finding commonality, mutual ground, respect and understanding is the only way change is ever going to happen.
- If something is done without compassion, its not Christian.
“back when i was ignorant….” ~Craig
“Only the wisdom of the Lord can save you from the flattery of whores. But a good condom can save you from the rest.” Howard
The End of this meeting.