- Summer Book Study is “Fall to Grace” By Jay Bakker
- This month we’ll be discussing human sexuality.
- Artist Night is a green light! It will be happening May 30th time is TBA.
- Pub Theology
- Heather Kidd is now Heather Murphy! Congrats dear friend! We love you.
Lectio Divina Matthew 11:28-30
Things that we drew out
- burnt out on religion
- I’ll give you back your life
- Walk and work with me (community with the Creator)
- Get away with me and you’ll recover your life (peace and rest resounding)
- I wont lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you (safe to find rest, a recovery in God)
- unforced rhythms of grace
Staying away from derogatory language and use of stereotypes
We want to honor the story people have, and honor who the person is. The two are not the same.
How did you learn about sex? How did you learn how to treat the opposite sex?
Thought to keep in mind: All of these texts (Scriptures) were religious rules, or cultural explanations for what other people groups were doing at the time.
Let us be clear, Scripture is a text about God, scripture is NOT God.
References: CanyonWalkerConnections and religioustolerance.org
Make no room for hatred to even be an option. Differentiation between what a person does, and who a person is.
No term for sexual orientation in Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic.
Homosexuality was not a used word until the 19th century when human behavior began to be studied.
There’s no word in the Bible that talks about sexual orientation
LGBTQ= Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer
Transgender is going thru the process of becoming the opposite gender from what you were born as. Corpus Christi is the 14th Most Gay Friendly City in Texas.
Context is important. Think about where you live, and whats going on in your immediate surroundings.